Saturday, July 3, 2010

Battle Report: 1000pt BA vs Guard - League Play 3

Last night was Game 3 of the local League here in town. Showed up on time like usual, but we had to wait for people to trickle in so we could make pairings. A different Plague player than the first one I fought was there, and I was not looking forward to fighting that again. Then the regular Nid player showed up, also not thrilling me on the prospect of battle. When a Imp Guard player showed up we figured it was time to pair up and start the fun. I guess technically I was supposed to fight the Guard at the last game but he wasn't there, so we decided to match up this time, which I was actually okay with. My list was:
  • 2x 10-man ASM (PF; 2x MG)
  • 1x 5-man ASM (PW; Fm)
  • 1x 5-man HG (JP; PW; 3x MG)
  • 1x Priest (JP)
  • 1x Libby (JP; S10, Shield)
1000pts even and the plan was to DS everything. His list was:
  • 2x Leman Russ (Battle Cannon; Las-cannon; Heavy Bolters)
  • 1x Leman Russ (Plasma Cannon and sponsons)
  • Command Squad with Medic
  • Platoon with PF Commisar
  • 3x Las-cannon HW Team
He won the roll off and deployed first, and we had 3 objectives to take.I held back and DS on turn 2, but the dice pointed at laughed at me when only my HG rolled in...
There you have it; ending in a massacre with max bonus league points. The guy was a good opponent and very nice about things. Some highlights were my kamikaze HG that used their 3 meltas to explode a tank and on the next turn weathering about 14 wounds from the main plasma cannon via cover, but then die from 4 wounds from the side sponson since I got no cover from it. The rest worked like clockwork, with my meltas popping tanks and transports and wiping units with assault. I gotta say, I toootally love the S10 sword now. Auto pens on rear armor, 4 attacks on the charge and still causes instant death on most things w/o the need to cast his force sword ability. Plus since my other power is used on the ENEMY turn, I can use the shield to save my butt and then charge in and take stuff out without having to be an Epistolary.

Right now I have about 1500pts as is, unless I change to units like Mephiston or Dante to eat up points, or go Mech, but I don't wanna do that. To plan for a 2000pt game I may need to think about expanding my list for more support and the whispers I hear about JP list support is Devastators, but I will investigate some more and build an updated list. Otherwise, happy with my guys today and my list in general. Other than that, the next two weeks will be filled with time spent magnetizing everything and ordering some Battlefoam to transport more guys? Jury is still out on that one.

»Any comments on my list? I know I shouldn't have let my HG die like that, but it worked out in the end. Devastators for support, or just add more killy in my 2000pt list? Battlefoam or save my money to spend on more models?

6 comments:

Gonewild40k said...

I like the way you present your bat-reps- keep them coming. I'm new to 40K as well, and your 1K list choice gave me some food for thought. Next week my buddy and I are going to play our first game of 40K- it will be a 1K game and I will be fielding Blood Angels.
I can't wait for the 1500 point escalation.

SynnerG said...

Thanks Gonewild, oh, and I'm now a follower on your blog! My advice for first time BA players: don't buy into the hype of our "uber units" right off the bat. Two kids I never saw before (literally kids at age like 14/15) showed up, both playing BA for the first time ever. One ran all Sanguinary Guard with Dante and got spanked by Nids and the other looked mostly like Dreads and Terminators, and got knocked around by a Grey Knight player.

Those lists work, but take a lot of finesse since you're looking at a very low model count. On the flip side, I have about 30-40 marines in my JP list, so if I fail some armor saves, I got plenty more to carry on the battle.

Unknown said...

if the plasma shots came from thesame tank, you could have saved some of the HG with wound allocation.

Remember all wounds are done simultaniously. First let the tank/squad do all shooting, then assaign the wounds and take saves.

Kinsman said...

Great report, as usual, brother! I really need to start using more pictures in my reports, you're making the rest of us look bad!

J.R. Vosovic said...

Devs for support, and dont forget to park the mojority out of LOS and only have the ML guys on top so they always get cover.

SynnerG said...

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm leaning towards a couple units of Devs with a priest to provide FNP and keep them alive longer. Definitely can use some cover, to really frustrate AP3 weapons like MLs or Ions, as I would still get both cover and FNP saves.

Yeah, pictures convey what happened more easily in my mind. I usually take the pics in the mid or bottom of the turn and summarize each unit's actions down to about 2 sentences. I'm trying to keep the attention of the reader as long as possible and not boring them with every action or making them guess what the table looks like.

Post a Comment